lunes, 2 de febrero de 2015

21 things that saved my life in January

...hats on bad hair days

...A. A. Milne's The Complete Tales of Winnie-the-Pooh

...listening to how weird and prosaic and funny we all are on the Spanish radio program Ciudadano García as I drive to school to pick up the kids

...it's enough...it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful (the Nester)

...discovering that, most of the time, reading what I like satisfies me more than watching what I like

...majoring on reading what I enjoy, not what I feel I have to read

...a big down coat that not only keeps me warm but also looks pretty

...a daily Bible reading plan on YouVersion

...shutting it when able...the discipline of silence on bad days

...learning that my children need my written words too

...learning to acknowledge "I can't" even when my pride doesn't want to let go

...occasional homemade Mojito sherbet (recipe in Spanish)

...looking at beautiful scenery around the world on Instagram

...packages that friends or family send out of the blue

...browsing The Clothes Horse and letting the red lipstick rub off on me too

...understanding more about EQ and finding myself listening better when people talk to me: hushing my brain always rushing ahead in practice what-am-I-going-to-say runs

...getting rid of stuff

...the best black leather boots

...not expecting him to be able to plan ahead and surprising him with tickets to the theater

...the new Zara Home butterfly duvet on my bed

...writing for the joy.

Thanks for the idea and the beautiful thoughts, Anne (Modern Mrs. Darcy).


(P.S. My relatives on my husband's side went through a very difficult time of grief in January, and our own children were struggling to put things together as well. My own heart is often still full of pain when remembering January's events. This fleeting "saving graces" list comes at the risk of sounding flippant. For the record, there are greater, eternal joys that ground the heart in times of pain -- namely, God himself grounds the heart as one who has reached down into the depths of our suffering -- but strangely, that doesn't mean the smaller ones are insignificant or disconnected. In January I also found myself writing for the grief, and that was also saving.)

4 comentarios:

  1. This is a great list. I just clicked over to The Clothes Horse out of curiosity—how adorable. :)

    Especially love "writing for the joy" and "reading what I enjoy, not what I feel I have to read."

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Thank you for stopping by. You made my day!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Great list! I, too, am curious about the Clothes Horse so now I have to go there.

    I love the YouVersion plan and writing for the joy as well.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Yes, do, Jerralea! Thank you for stopping by. Let's keep writing for the joy.

      Eliminar